Human Geography: Landscapes of Human Activities, 11th Edition (Fellmann)
Roots and Meaning of Culture
Objectives for Chapter 2After reading and studying this chapter, you should be able to:
1. Define culture, culture trait, culture complex, culture region, and culture realm and give examples of each.
2. Identify the three subsystems of a culture and classify culture traits as being technological, sociological, or ideological.
3. Compare and contrast environmental determinism and possibilism.
4. Explain what is meant by the "cultural landscape."
5. Describe the significant changes in human culture that occurred during the Paleolithic, Mesolithic, and Neolithic periods of history.
6. Identify major world culture hearths and the chief centers of plant and animal domestications.
7. Differentiate between expansion and relocation diffusion and provide examples of each.
8. Outline factors that can promote, slow, or completely halt the diffusion of cultural traits.
9. Explain what is meant by "acculturation."