American History: A Survey (Brinkley), 13th Edition
- Reliability: Alan Brinkley's attention to historical scholarship, awareness of students' needs, and elegant prose style drives this book to its place among the best-sellers in the field.
- Versatility: This book has adapted to the changing emphasis in history scholarship throughout its long and distinguished life.
- Single Authorship: A single-authored text results in one organizing concept for the book, a consistent writing style, and a greater unity and coherence to the narrative.
- "Where Historians Disagree" essays: This series of essays sprinkled throughout the text provide students with a sense of how the evolving nature of historical scholarship informs our present-day interpretations.
- "Patterns of Popular Culture" essays: These high-interest essays spotlight the ways popular culture has affected the lives of Americans throughout history with an emphasis on visual presentation (primarily photographs).