The World and Its People
Japan and the Koreas
Web Activity Lesson Plans
In this chapter, students read about Japan, North Korea, and South Korea. Throughout its long history, the Korean Peninsula has been invaded many times. Each time the people of Korea have emerged strong and were able to rebuild their government and economy. South Korea is a beautiful, modern country. In this activity, students will take a closer look at the geography, history, and culture of South Korea.
In this lesson, students will visit PBS Online to explore a feature about South Korea. On this site, they will learn about the geography, culture, and foods of South Korea, and will understand how the geography of a place influences its way of life. After answering several questions, they will compile an information guide to assist a visitor to South Korea.
- The student will be able to discuss the lasting influence of Confucianism on the people of South Korea.
- The student will be able to describe several cultural principles of South Korea.
- The student will be able to create an information guide to assist a visitor to South Korea.
Student Web Activity Answers
- the willingness to work hard at any task and devotion to the family
- the Yellow Sea, the East Sea, and the area where these two seas meet at the bottom of the Korean Peninsula
- by bowing
- In the Korean diet, dried meats, fish, and vegetables are staple items.
- Students' information guides may vary.