The World and Its People
Web Activity Lesson Plans
In this chapter, students read about the physical features and climate regions of Europe. Europe is famous for its dramatically varied and beautiful landscapes, from the rich rolling countrysides and lush river valleys to its stunning coastlines. One of Europe's most well-known landforms is the Alps. Every year the Alps draw thousands of visitors to its snow-capped mountain peaks. In this activity, students will learn about Europe's most prominent mountain range.
Students will visit the Worldatlas.com Web site to learn more about the Alps, the countries across which they extend, and their importance to the region. After answering questions, students will visit the National Geographic Web site to create a brief news brief explaining how global warming is threatening the Alps
- The student will be able to describe the Alps mountain range, the countries it extends across, and the seas that border it.
- The student will be able to explain the importance of the Alps to the region.
- The student will be able to explain the impact of global warming on glaciers in the Alps.
Student Web Activity Answers
- France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania
- They are the source of many rivers and tributaries in Europe.
- Mont Blanc in France. 15,771 ft. (4,807m)
- Mediterranean Sea, Adriatic Sea
- Students' reports will vary.