The World and Its People
The Andean Countries
Web Activity Lesson Plans
In this chapter, students read about the countries of the Andes. One of these countries, Colombia, sits in the northwestern corner of South America. With coastlines, mountains, and rain forest, Colombia is a country of contrast and diversity.
Most of the world's countries maintain embassies and official diplomatic ties with one another. In this increasingly technological age, many embassies have also set up Web sites to educate the public about their country. In this lesson, students will visit the Web site of the Colombia Embassy, located in Washington, D.C. They will take a more in-depth look at Colombia and create a mobile of its products and natural resources.
- The student will be able to list important facts about Colombia.
- The student will be able to create a mobile that displays many of Colombia's natural resources and products.
Student Web Activity Answers
- Colombia is the size of Texas and California combined.
- It is the only country in South America to have coasts on both the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea.
- More than 70 percent of Colombians live in just 10 cities. About 95 percent of the population live and work on the fertile plains east and west of the Andes.
- oil and coal
- Mobiles will vary.