Exploring Our World: People, Places, and Cultures
East Asia and Southeast Asia Today
Web Activity Lesson Plans
In this chapter, students learned about issues in East Asia and Southeast Asia today. China has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. A vital component to China’s economy is Hong Kong. Not only is this city a valuable port, it is also a major cultural center. In the summer of 2008, Hong Kong will host the equestrian events for the Olympics. As a result, the city is encouraging people to visit the city.
Students will visit a government tourist site for Hong Kong. They will explore information that the government has created to highlight the strengths of the city. Discuss the techniques that cities and countries use to boost their tourism industries.
- The learner will analyze information about Hong Kong’s educational system, tourist industry, and cultural arts.
- The learner will explain why Web sites are created by cities and countries.
- The learner will evaluate Web sites for techniques used that encourage tourism.
Student Web Activity Answers
- Answers may include Hong Kong Disneyland, Hong Kong Wetland Park, and Po Lin Monastery.
- Because Hong Kong is an international city, the arts combine elements from Eastern and Western cultures. Residents and tourists can attend arts festivals, plays, and orchestra concerts.
- Students may say that city government officials want to present a positive image to the world to attract more visitors, especially during the Olympic Games.
- Most students will find that the Web sites use eye-catching photographs, positive language, and interesting videos to promote their country or city.