Exploring Our World: People, Places, and Cultures
History and Cultures of North Africa, Southwest Asia, and Central Asia
Web Activity Lesson Plans
In this chapter, students learned about the history and cultures of the people of North Africa, Southwest Asia, and Central Asia. The three major world religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, have their origins in Southwest Asia. Followers of each religion continue to live in the region today, and their ideas and world views influence their communities and the politics of the region.
Students will visit the PBS Web pages on Global Connections: The Middle East. They will explore a brief history of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam as well as draw conclusions about how the religions share some common elements yet are also distinctly different from one another.
- The learner will be able to identify the origins of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
- The learner will be able to compare and contrast the history and world view of each religion.
Student Web Activity Answers
- each recognizes Abraham as its first major prophet
- the belief in one god
- Judaism: Torah and Talmud; Christianity: Old and New Testaments; Islam: Quran
- Student answers should reflect what they have learned as well as an understanding of current issues in the region.