Exploring Our World: People, Places, and Cultures
Web Activity Lesson Plans
Poland lies in the heart of Europe, bordered by Germany, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia. In the north, the Baltic Sea forms the border. People have inhabited this land for thousands of years and have developed a rich culture. In this activity, students will explore many elements of Polish culture and traditions.
Students will visit Poland’s tourist Web site. They will explore and analyze information about Poland’s cuisine, holidays, lifestyle, and popular tourist destinations.
- The learner will be able to identify elements of Polish culture, including typical Polish dishes, holidays, and greetings.
- The learner will analyze information about historical and cultural sites in Poland.
Student Web Activity Answers
- Barszcz is a soup made of fermented beetroots.
- the anniversary of the restoration of independence in 1918, celebrated on November 11, and the anniversary of the passing of Poland's first Constitution, celebrated on May 3
- Students' answers will vary.
- The “name-day” is a person’s patron saint’s day. It is celebrated in a similar fashion as a birthday.
- Students’ answers will vary. They should support their responses with thoughtful reasoning.