Exploring Our World: People, Places, and Cultures
Australia, Oceania, and Antarctica Today
Web Activity Lesson Plans
In this chapter, students learned about the continents of Australia and Antarctica and the region of Oceania. They also learned that Oceania is made up of three sub-regions: Melanesia, Polynesia, and Micronesia. Melanesia, like the other sub-regions, consists of islands. Students will research information about the environment and economy of three island nations of Melanesia.
Students will visit a Web site that provides geographic and economic data. They will research in order to list, define, and describe environmental and economic characteristics of the countries of Papua New Guinea, Fiji, and the Solomon Islands.
- The student will be able to identify and describe the three economic sectors.
- The student will be able to organize and analyze economic and environmental statistics.
- The student will use data sources to present and interpret information.
Student Web Activity Answers
- Papua New Guinea
- agriculture, industry, services
- With industry accounting for 37 percent of its GDP, Papua New Guinea is most dependent on the industrial sector.