Human Geography: Landscapes of Human Activities, 11th Edition (Fellmann)
Livelihood and Economy: From Blue Collar to Gold Collar
Objectives for Chapter 9After reading and studying this chapter, you should be able to:
1. Describe the components of the space economy.
2. State and explain the principles of location.
3. Distinguish between material orientation and market orientation.
4. Discuss how transportation affects industrial location strategies.
5. Explain and compare the major theories of industrial location.
6. Discuss the impact on industrial location of agglomeration economies, just-in-time or flexible production, and comparative advantage.
7. Describe the pattern of manufacturing in Anglo America, Western, Central, or Eastern Europe, and Eastern Asia.
8. Explain the spatial pattern of the high tech sector of the global economy.
9. Discuss the growth and location of tertiary, quaternary, and quinary industries.