Human Geography: Landscapes of Human Activities, 11th Edition (Fellmann)
Urban Systems and Urban Structures
Critical Thinking Questions
1. Why is it so hard to determine whether an area is urban or not?
2. Is a model like Christaller's Central Place Theory applicable to the real world? How?
3. Why is gentrification seen by some urban advocacy groups as a negative process?
4. Using Figure 11.23, try to connect the typical land uses in a city to actual areas of your community. Does the model hold up?
5. Are gated communities a good thing, or do they deepen divisions within a city?