World History: Journey Across Time
Web Activity Lesson PlanIntroduction
In this chapter students have learned about China's first civilizations and the dynasties that ruled them. China was often threatened by its neighbors to the north, so Chinese rulers constructed the Great Wall of China to protect their country from invaders. In this activity, students will learn more about this man-made barrier when they visit the Web site Walk the Great Wall of China to take an interactive tour of the Great Wall.
Destination Title: Walk the Great Wall of China
Students will experience the Great Wall of China through an interactive tour. They will learn about the history of the wall and the tourist industry that thrives on its success. After visiting the site, students will answer four questions. They will apply what they've learned by creating a Venn diagram.
Student Web Activity Answers
- Students will describe the Great Wall of China, listing its purpose and describing its construction.
- Students will use a Venn diagram to compare and contrast the pros and cons of the tourism industry's impact on the Great Wall of China.
- The Great Wall helped to hold off the cavalry of the Huns and other warrior tribes from the north.
- They were used to house troops, store weapons, and send signals in case enemies were seen approaching.
- The use of gunpowder decreased the effectiveness of the Great Wall because the wall was built to keep out arrows and other earlier forms of weaponry.
- The Great Wall was first constructed of stone, wood, grass, and earth. Later rulers used bricks to strengthen the wall.
- Answers will vary but may include some of the following observations: it is crowded; there are many restaurants; there are guest houses and shops along the Great Wall where you can purchase film, water, clothing, and t-shirts. The commercialism may bother some students. They might argue that although the Great Wall is crowded with tourists and too commercial, that it is important for people to visit such an important part of history.